which file manager you use?

Ichim Tiberiu tibi at life.org.ro
Thu Feb 5 16:02:08 UTC 2004

Peter wrote:

> hi,
> which file manager you use?
>
> peter

Konqueror all the way.
The good points:
- has "viewing profiles" which you can save and load, it can even
imitate the old norton commander (total commander, midnight commander,
just name it)
- has tabs for file browsing - I have installed Photoshop on wine just
to enjoy daily this wonder
- has transparent support for whatever network protocol you fancy - ssh
(fish), ftp, smb, webdav, http, etc
- has bookmarks for files and folder locations!
- has a nifty sidebar that you can use to switch between different
"roots" for the tree view (starting from home, starting from root,
devices (where you can mount and unmount), network, media player...
well, a lot, you just have to try that
- can be configured to show the files just like windows explorer (you
know, multi-column view, minimum zoom level), so you can do some real
file management and not just looking at pretty pictures
- it's really easy to configure aditional key shortcuts, icons and buttons
- cool previews and Kparts usage
- have you tried FSView plugin? :) it's great to show you the sizes of
files and folders, all at once
- it's a pretty good web browser, with a cool download manager
integration (and I know the next version, 3.3 will be even better at CSS
support)
- it's very very customizable, for example you can split the view in
vertical and horizontal directions
- in kde 3.2 it starts very fast (just klick :) and it's on you screen

The bad points: I don't know of any. Well, maybe web browsing a little,
but for the rest...