install grub on usb accessible device

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 16:30:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 16:44 +0100, Emiliano Brunetti wrote:

> Of course it didn't work. :(
>
> I need to make that usb accessibile device bootable: it's a box that
> holds my laptop hdd.
>
> Any hint?

You might find that it's easier to do with your boot kernel/initrd on
local disks.  That is, store your boot kernels and initrd on local
storage, but change root to /dev/sd?? in each machine's grub.conf.
You'll need to add a bunch of modules to /etc/modules.conf and rebuild
your ramdisk to make sure usb-storage is and sd_mod are loaded *before*
the ramdisk exits (and init starts).

I don't know what the performance or data integrity implications are of
using USB as your root partition...

-- Lon

--
Lon Hohberger