Any suggestion of buy a wireless pci card?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 5 18:30:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 esm at logic.net wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 06:46:03PM +1100, Richy wrote:
> > So, it seems that I need a wireless access point with ADSL and a
> > wireless pci card. Is there any suggestion about purchase a wireless pci
> > card for my fedora? I usually find buy a hardware for linux need more
> > attention.
>
> I'm working on getting a set of prism54 cards working right now, and my
> best suggestion to you is to avoid 802.11g 54Mbps cards in the short term,
> unless you're comfortable with wireless configuration under Linux already.

I think with current a/g stuff - one can get atheros based cards
working with madwifi.  With the others - (broadcom/prism) - the
options would probably be ndiswrapper.

Wrt the original poster - I would just say - he should keep the ADSL
modem close to the desktop - so that it is connected via ethernet to a
wireless router. (the other windows machine/laptop can be on wireless)

Satish