RedHat, Fedora future?

Tim Kossack tim_kossack at web.de
Thu Feb 5 20:04:55 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 05.02.2004 schrieb Dave Jones um 20:24:
> On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 18:45, Tim Kossack wrote:
>

> > what i meant was that the mentioned companies invest far more effort into
> > usability and polishness of their desktop(s) (plugins, tools) than red hat
> > does (that is, if red hat prof. workstation doesn't offer more in this
> > respect than fc - and by that i don't mean access to rhn as well as
> > higher reliability). i should've written "red hat has _basically_ given
> > up...if i'm not mistaken, that was also the main point of the article.
>
> So I guess having a dedicated desktop product (RHPW), and hiring more
> desktop software developers is a sign of "giving up" now ?
> http://www.redhat.com/about/careers/boston/

well, if red hat will put more emphasis on usability and polish in the future,
i'll be the last to complain.

> Your mails are beginning to match the theme of article.
> Based on ill-formed misconceptions, misquotes and just plain FUD.

huh?
i'm sorry, but i'm quite sure that i'm not the only one that has (or
had) that impression. maybe you should communicate your efforts reg.
desktop development more effectively. at least, my aim is not to bash
red hat. i use fedora, i like it, but there's certainly vast room for
improvement regarding to the issues i mentioned.

> This is also getting way offtopic for Fedora-list btw, but sadly
> we don't have a redhat-fud-counter at redhat.com list.

i don't think so, because fedora being the testbed for new red hat
stuff, it's imo not the wrong place to discuss where red hat's products
have weak points compared to the competition, and what can and/or should
be improved. if you don't like the message, don't kill the messenger. of
course, feel free to ignore my opinion...