KOffice vs. OpenOffice

Mike Lurk mike.lurk at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 5 20:12:15 UTC 2004

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:19:34 +0200
From: Ichim Tiberiu <tibi at life.org.ro>
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: KOffice vs. OpenOffice

Gerrit wrote:

>Hi,
>
>are there people who have experience with both OpenOffice and KOffice,
>and prefer one over the other?
>
>I use OpenOffice read-only (my colleagues use MS Word and I've got to
>read their documents, using Docbook or ReST myself), but find that
>tables and images are often misrepresented, while the fonts are *very*
>ugly. I have no need to write any documents, although I may want to
make
>small changes and write it back to MS word format again.
>
>Any hints?
>
>Gerrit.

defintely open office. Koffice is not stable enough and it's work
filters are not very good.
Contrary to what people think, from my experience OpenOffice is very
good with even very complicated Word files.
But maybe that's not your case...

The only problem OpenOffice has is with embedded VB macros in Word
Documents. Other than that it is great. Much of the look and feel of
Word is in OpenOffice. All it is missing is some templates of some type
or another. But for the price of Star Office (approx. $80US I think) you
get all that is in Microsoft Office, except for importing Word Perfect
docs. I have been using OpenOffice since the first beta and will
continue to use it. Thankfully it is included with the Fedora distro.

Mike