KOffice vs. OpenOffice

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Thu Feb 5 20:38:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 07:12, Mike Lurk wrote:

> The only problem OpenOffice has is with embedded VB macros in Word
> Documents. Other than that it is great. Much of the look and feel of
> Word is in OpenOffice. All it is missing is some templates of some type
> or another. But for the price of Star Office (approx. $80US I think) you
> get all that is in Microsoft Office, except for importing Word Perfect
> docs. I have been using OpenOffice since the first beta and will
> continue to use it. Thankfully it is included with the Fedora distro.

VB macros will not work in any other office suite, except MS Office.

Templates aren't included by default (there are a few though), but many
are available online. Read the uFAQ -
http://www.bytebot.net/openoffice/faq.html

WordPerfect doc import is kind of being implemented. Again, FAQ above
will help or go to libwpd.sf.net (iirc).
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
http://fedoranews.org/colin/fnu/ - Fedora News Updates