RedHat, Fedora future?

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Fri Feb 6 00:25:25 UTC 2004

Austin Isler wrote:

> Why drop the the RHL line if you just turn around and have products like
> RHPW. RHL became a familiar line, and I think it would have just been
> better to implement the features of RHPW into RHL and package it as
> that. (IMO)

Primarily because general end-users tend to want a very different sort
of distribution than corporate users.

End users want an rpm for the latest stable KDE/postfix/whatever ready
for download ASAP (See this list for plenty of examples) -and- serious
bugs and security issues addressed quickly.

Corporate users want/need a more consistant and stable platform with bug
and security fixes backported in, but no major disruptions or version
changes. Software vendors in particular need to have a stable 'target
platform' (for both servers and client systems) to compile and test
their software on.  Both want any updates to be carefully tested to
ensure that currently deployed software continues to work.

It's nearly impossible to get ISV certifications on an ever-changing
platform, which Fedora needs to be to satisfy many of us. This is the
inherent dichotomy leading to the split of RHEL from Fedora and their
decision to change the name and more clearly differentiate the two.

See also:

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/

Where they describe the differences perhaps more eloquently than I can.

Disclaimer: My theories and opinions are completely my own.