kde 3.2 unhappy: kde messed up my menues in gnome!

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 02:55:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 09:11, dsyates wrote:
> I am a long time gnome user; i just don't like kde. But, in a  momentary
> lapse of reason, I installed the latest and greatest official kde 3.2
> fedora rpms. It was an update actually, as I had kde already installed,
> although I had not run kde since installing fc1. Anyway, I installed the
> rpms without incident. I tried kde and decided I still didn't like it
> and went back to gnome. Now, I find that kde (or fc1) has added a every
> single xscreensaver module to my system tools:more system tools menu. To
> make matters worse, they newly added menu entries are quite useless.
> Clicking on them yields the following message:
> Cannot launch entry

I did the same thing.  I always thought the KDE widgets were just clunky
and I could not get a KDE desktop to look as nice and smooth as Gnome.
I was impressed with some of KDE-3.2s features.  Konquerer has far
better smb support then Nautilus.  I can browse smb shares read/write
with konquer with no problems.  Anyway, after a few hours of playing
with KDE-3.2, I am back to good old gnome.

> Anyone have any idea how to remove theses menu entries? I know there are
> supposed work arounds for editing the menus in gnome, but they have
> their own "side effects". I wish instaling kde wouldnt have messed with
> my gnome menus in the first place. I hate kde even more now:-)

I noticed this same issue.  Run this command as root:

rm -Rf /usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers

Now check out your menu and all is well again : )

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA