Samba-Server reads incredibly slow

Gerhard Wiesinger lists at wiesinger.com
Fri Feb 6 13:39:07 UTC 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Alexander Appel wrote:

> Am Do, den 05.02.2004 schrieb Alexander Apprich um 13:37:
>
> > Have you checked the load of the server who stores the 100 MB file?
> >  From my own experience it could be just a weak smbd process. Have
> > you tried to kill all smbd processes on your server? Also, check
> > with top (then shift+p fuer sort by CPU usage) if the system is okay.
>
> I didn't find any unusual processes or any process producing heavy load.
> I tried restarting the server but it didn't change the strange
> behaviour.

I'm having the same problem.

Have a look at the samba technical mailing list.
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2004-January/033899.html
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2004-January/033901.html
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2004-January/033902.html
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2004-January/033903.html

Do you have the same problems?

As far as Richard Sharpe (samba and ethereal developer) helped me we
traced it down that this must be a Linux TCP kernel bug with Fedora.

It depends also on the acpi/apmd settings of the kernel.

Also a strange behaviour:
When sniffing with ethereal on the linux machine and looking at the trace
with X11 remotly from the Windows machine (update packets in real time),
performance is ok!!!!!

Which mainboard and network adapter do you use?

Also putty looses ssh connections.

Ciao,
Gerhard