MySQL 4 RPM question..

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Fri Feb 6 19:55:09 UTC 2004

Schlueri wrote:
 > > Somone pointed me to this page..
 > > http://fedoranews.org/contributors/tony_smith/mysql/

<snip>

> I have no problems with the original mysql rpms on 5 FC1 Machines, one
> of this production enviroment (yes, it's stable!).
>
> To install mysql 4 on your FC1 Box, go to
> http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-4.0.html
>
> 1.)
> Download RPMS from mysql.com:
>
> Server, Client programs,  Libraries and header files (if you need devel
> rpms!), Dynamic client libraries (including 3.23.x libraries)
>
> 2.)
> Remove existing mysql rpms via 'rpm -e --nodeps {name}', if installed.
> Check this with 'rpm -qa|grep -i mysql'.

I've found that simply doing rpm -Uvh usually works if you include the
compat package. This was on RH9 though, but I don't see why it wouldn't
carry over to FC1.

> 3.) Install the downloaded mysql rpms...

You may get better performance from rebuilding the source. However, what
the URL listed above fails to mention is that if you install the compat
packages, the dependancies no longer copmlain, since they replace the
libraries that PHP, etc. require. Because of that, you can usually get
away with using the binary RPMS. Yes, it may be better to rebuild the
dependancies to use the 4.x libs, but that becomes a pain each time
errata is released on those dependancies (been there, done that, now
using the compat package).

HTH,
-Rick
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.