X server r128 driver hanging badly

Grant McInnes grant.mcinnes at utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 6 20:14:32 UTC 2004

Hi all:

I recently installed a copy of Fedora core 1 and X windows won't boot
with an r128 driver.  I know its a Rage 128 card in the box.

X hangs badly, freezing the machine and requiring a hard reboot.  All I
get is an X cursor and scrambled pixels of multicolours behind that.

This didn't happen during the install process (does the install process
use SVGA?)

I can work around using the vesa drivers for X, but thats non-optimal,
of course.   Has anyone seen a problem like this before?  I've checked
bugzilla and haven't found anything similar.

Cheers
-grant