How to get full screen display?

Troy Campano troycampano at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 00:53:06 UTC 2004

I too have the Inspiron 8500 running Fedora Core 1.
Really the "ideal" screen resolution for this laptop is 1920x1200,
though for some people that's too small. Though I love it.

What I did was install the latest nvidia driver and reconfigured my
XF86Config file. Not sure if you need to install the nvidia driver, but
it does make it look better.

Once I did that I downloaded an example XF86Config file from someone
else running the 8500. Then rebooted and it back to the beautiful
1920x1200.

I've attached my XF86Config file.

Installing the NVIDIA driver was little tricky (had to reboot to init
level 3 with no X to install), but i'd be more than happy to help you
out. I spent a week, every night, trying to get it working until I found
the right combination of changes that needed to be made.

Please let me know if I can help.

thanks!

~ Troy Campano ~