Installing Fedora on a USB Key

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Feb 7 02:03:38 UTC 2004

At 17:21 2/6/2004, you wrote:
>Is it possible to install Fedora Core 1 on a usb key (256MB)?

I would not think so. At this point the smallest USEFUL and PRACTICAL
install I have managed is about 390MB in total. I have not tried to really
shred the OS down to just the minimum necessary to boot, so I would guess
that 300MB or even (maybe) 256MB could conceptually be achievable, but I
cannot imagine there being anything left with which to do useful work.
Still, do let me know if you manage it, since I keep looking for ways to
make the install smaller and more secure.

Have you looked at the RULE project (http://www.rule-project.org) as a
better choice? If not, perhaps Trustix would serve your needs, since I
believe its smallest install is about 90MB.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com