Problems with ISP's smtp server?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Feb 7 17:06:48 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 07.02.2004 schrieb Björn Persson um 17:07:
> Randy Kelsoe wrote:
> > Running ethereal, it looks like the smtp server disconnects before
> > Mozilla Mail sends the "Quit" command, and before evolution sends the
> > "RSET" command. OE sends an "EOM:" after the smtp server has
> > disconnected, but does not seem to care.
>
> I don't know SMTP well enough to tell whether the server is allowed to
> disconnect at that point, but I'll tell you what I did in a similar
> situation:
>
> Suddenly one day my ISP's SMTP server refused to accept mail from me. It
> replied "relaying denied" every time. Apparently they had configured it
> to think that my IP address was outside of their range of customer
> addresses. So I typed "service sendmail start", verified that Sendmail
> listened only on 127.0.0.1, and told my email client to use localhost
> for SMTP server. My need for an SMTP server at my ISP was then
> eliminated. :-) I only wish I had thought of this before I spent far too
> much money on a useless argument on the phone with a clueless tech
> support guy who couldn't say much more than "We don't support Linux.".
>
> Björn Persson

Well Björn, you do not count that more and more MTAs reject mail coming
from unresolvable MTAs, which is common for dial-up connections. Your
sendmail acts so by default too. But it would be a good idea to setup
sendmail using the ISP's MTA as smarthost. It is also easy to set that
up with AUTH against the ISP's smtp host.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 18:01:52 up 7 days, 17:01, load average: 0.08, 0.11, 0.09
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]