dot allowed adduser/useradd

major major at satx.rr.com
Sat Feb 7 18:02:44 UTC 2004

On 2004.02.03 06:24, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Dots are at least forbidden charactes in usernames and groupnames as
> chown will fail with such names.

The Linux Standard Base (LSB) uses the Single UNIX Specification (SUS)
with some overriding differences for defining the behavior of commands
and utilities like "chown".

UNIX long ago used the period ("."), also known as the "full stop", to
separate the user name from the group name in "chown", as in
"USER.GROUP".

The SUS now defines user and group names to be composed of characters
from the "Portable Filename Character Set" (PFCS) which consists of
uppercase alphabetics ("A" to "Z"), lowercase alphabetics ("a" to "z"),
decimal numerals ("0" to "9"), the period ("."), the underscore ("_"),
and the hyphen ("-"), except that the first character of the user or
group name can not be a hyphen so as to avoid having the name
interpreted as a commandline option. When the SUS allowed the period in
user and group names, the colon (":") was chosen as the separator in
"chown" instead of the period because the colon was not in the PFCS and
the colon was not allowed in traditional user or group names since it
was the separator in the user and group databases ("/etc/passwd" and "/
etc/group").

FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD now use the colon to separate the user
name from the group name in "chown" and allow periods in user and group
names just as in the SUS. Note that the new BSDs recommend against
using periods (as well as uppercase alphabetics) in user or group names.

The LSB currently follows both the old UNIX use of the period to
separate the user and group names in "chown" and also the SUS
definition of allowing periods in user and group names. Thus, either
the colon or the period is used as the user name and group name
separator in "chown". I think that the use of the period as the LSB
"chown" separator should be deprecated.

To summarize the current situation:

| tradition |    separator    | period  |
|           |    in "chown"   | in name |
|  old UNIX |     period      |   NO    |
|  new BSDs |      colon      |   YES   |
|    SUS    |      colon      |   YES   |
|    LSB    | colon or period |   YES   |

The LSB web page is "http://www.linuxbase.org/".
The SUS web page is
"http://www.opengroup.org/products/publications/catalog/un.htm"

major at satx.rr.com