devlabel and device UUIDs

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 8 03:15:26 UTC 2004

Am trying to setup devlabel with my Fujifilm USB drive. It is one of the
braindead ones with the UUID set for the device rather than the partition.
Thus I have to issue:

devlabel add -d /dev/sdi -s /dev/usbstick

to have devlabel grok the proper place to read the UUID. However, the device is not where the data lies - it is on the first partition /dev/sdi1. So it reads
the /etc/fstab entry of:

/dev/usbstick	/mnt/substick  (rest deleted)

and bombs cuz it naturally can't find a readable partition. One way to get
around this is to use the -u <UUID> --partnum <#> to set it up. Only
problem is that the FC1 devlabel does not include the --partnum option.

As it stands now, I can only get it working if I change the symlink to
/dev/sdi1 manually after devlabel runs. Hardly worth the time. Anybody know
of a way around this?

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca