Help with cdrecord

Andrew Robinson awrobinson at cox.net
Sun Feb 8 19:53:27 UTC 2004

I'm trying to teach myself how to use mkisofs and cdrecord. I'm a little
ahead on mkisofs, though that is like saying my verbals skills are
better than my math skills because I can say "Ma Ma" but I cannot add 2+2.

Anyway, I wrote a script that uses mkisofs to create an iso of mp3 files
from an m3u play list. The size of the iso file is 747200512 bytes. When
I try burning it with gnome toaster, it refuses because it says the
track is too large. The CDR is supposed to hold 700 MB, which according
to my calculator equates to 786432000 bytes. So either there is overhead
in burning the iso to disk or the CDR maker is figuring megabytes the
way hard disk manufacturers do.

My question is this. Is there a way to determine exactly how large an
iso file a CDR will hold? I looked at the man page for cdrecord and
found options that will tell me about the recorder, but not the media.
But I'm pretty sure Nero and Toast on other OS's will tell me how much
space is available on the CDR.

I know I can systematically reduce the size of the iso and find the size
that fits. In fact, I'll probably do that in this case while hoping to
get an answer to this message. Still, I would prefer a deterministic way
to accomplish this task. I'm hoping someone can provide me some guidance
at this point.

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson