Halt not working

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Feb 8 23:49:39 UTC 2004

Am So, den 08.02.2004 schrieb Andreas Mueller um 19:55:
> Gerrit wrote:
> > Alberto Molteni wrote:
> > >    When I try to halt the machine I see all the apps
> > > shutting down OK (except the mouse services, but I've
> > > read that's quite normal) and then... nothing happens!
> > > It gets as far as to:
> > >
> > > Flushing ide devices: hda hdb
> > > Power down.
> > >
> > > or something like that. And then the computer hangs,
> > > and I can just press the restart button. Rebooting
> > > works (except a few occasional hangs on "Unmounting
> > > file systems", but that doesn't bother me much).
> > > Is there something wrong with the OS? Or is it
> > > something to do with the BIOS or the ATX supply?
> >
> > You need to configure APM, Advanced Power Management, but some
> > hardware is unable to do that.
>
> If this doesn't work, try booting the kernel with "acpi=on" for ACPI
> support.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Yes, either using ACPI and passing the kernel the parameter acpi=on in
grub.conf or lilo.conf or without ACPI just using APM using the kernel
option apm=power-off.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 00:48:13 up 3:30, 7 users, 0.14, 0.35, 0.26
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]