Laptops / Games / Fedora

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Feb 9 01:18:11 UTC 2004

At 22:47 2/7/2004, you wrote:
>I'm a server guy when it comes to Linux. If I had access to these laptops
>which would someone say was good for desktop use with Fedora Core 1? More
>importantly has anyone had horrific problems with any of these?
>
>ThinkPad T40
>ThinkPad X31
>Dell Latitude D400
>Dell Latitude C600

I have had excellent success with the IBM equipment, including the T23 on
which I am writing this. Some of the hardware I don't use (like the modem)
and so I can't fully speak for hardware compatibility. However, the last
time I actually needed a modem (on my earlier T22, perhaps?) IBM had a
Linux driver tarball on its support page so it was painless. The WiFi card
is supported out-of-the-box in FC1, which is a first; I used to use the
linux-wlan-ng project RPM's, which were excellent and also painless.

Overall, highly recommend IBM. For a bunch of personal reasons, I am not
very happy with Dell and would not feel comfortable recommending them.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com