Laptops / Games / Fedora

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Mon Feb 9 01:55:20 UTC 2004

"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com> said:

> I have had excellent success with the IBM equipment, including the T23
> on which I am writing this. Some of the hardware I don't use (like the
> modem) and so I can't fully speak for hardware compatibility. However,
> the last time I actually needed a modem (on my earlier T22, perhaps?)
> IBM had a Linux driver tarball on its support page so it was painless.
> The WiFi card is supported out-of-the-box in FC1, which is a first; I
> used to use the linux-wlan-ng project RPM's, which were excellent and
> also painless.
>
> --
> Rodolfo J. Paiz
> rpaiz at simpaticus.com
> http://www.simpaticus.com

I can also recommend IBM hardware. I'm using a Thinkpad T30.
Everything works, including the WinModem. Keyboard is great.
Touchpad/pointing stick works without problems. Plus it still works
even if I plug in a USB scrollmouse. Video was supported as well (ATI
Radeon 7500 16mb RAM). 3D is so-so, but I don't play much 3D games. I
will tell you that I've personally tried Return to Castle Wolfenstein,
and that didn't work too well (slow graphics just with the menus!).

As I understand, the latest Centrino models still don't have drivers
for their wireless capability. If you need mobility with very good
battery life, get the Thinkpad X31. My partner has one and it's really
rock solid (and the way he puts it in the bag, it's a wonder it's
still together). If weight isn't a concern, get the T40. As I can see,
it's pretty similar to my T30, which means the LCD should be easy to
look at, and the fullsize keyboard should be easy to live with.

dex