Linus Virus Scanner

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 9 03:38:24 UTC 2004

Brian Connolly wrote:

>Alexander,
>
>I am very grateful for all you do.  Seriously.  It's just that after a
>while you start to sound like my mom.  Don't hijack threads; read the
>archives, pick up your room, take the garbage out...
>
>Now for the record, I really care for my mom.  But that's why I left
>home some 30 years ago.
>
>Best,

Brian,
Get over the whining, Listen to what the man says, and THINK about why
he says it.

Hijacking threads.
If I am following a thread, and suddenly someone changes the topic, it
becomes very hard to follow and handle the discussion from the original
topic.
SO, don't hijack threads. Start your own and stay on topic.

Read the archives.
The archives hold discussion on any topic that has already been covered.
Asking questions without first reading the archives to see what has been
said has a very negative effect.
The people on here are very friendly and helpful. If you fail to use the
available resources and RESEARCH your problem then you a) waste
bandwidth by asking the same question that may have already been
answered. and b) are expecting someone else to do your work for you.

If you do your research first then ask about something that has not been
covered, or not adequately been covered, then no one will fault you. It
also helps you to understand what has been said to date and your
questions can take the form:
This is my problem, I tried this from the prior messages, but still have
this specific issue.
Then the person replying can see in better detail what your problem is
and be more specific in suggesting a possible fix

Being responsible for helping yourself and at least making an attempt to
find the answer is good nettiquette and helps keep everyone happy.
Whining or griping about the way you are treated without stopping to
think of the reasons is what I would expect of a spoiled child.
Obviously your being out of your mothers house for 30+ years has not
stopped the whining.