Defunct spamd processes

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Feb 9 13:14:13 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 09.02.2004 schrieb Phil Savoie um 05:30:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a mail server which for all users in my home uses fetchmail to get my
> mail from my isp.  I have configured spamassasin according to the following
> url:
>
> http://evillair.netdojo.com/howto/spamassassin.html
>
> I have found that since doing so defunct processes regarding spamd as noted:
>
> [root at hammer root]# ps -ef | grep spam
> root      2403     1  0 Feb03 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -a
> 501       5858  2403  0 21:40 ?        00:00:00 [spamd <defunct>]
> 501       5859  2403  0 21:40 ?        00:00:01 [spamd <defunct>]
> root      5902  4250  0 21:52 pts/2    00:00:00 grep spam
> [root at hammer root]#
>
> The only change I have made to the /etc/procmailrc file is from:
>
> /usr/bin/spamassassin -P
>
> to:
>
> /usr/bin/spamc
>
> BTW, I noticed the defunct processes occur either way spamassasin is called.
>
> As I am new to this as having never configured SA before,  I have a couple of
> questions:
>
> 1.  Is the /etc/procmailrc file correct?

Looks ok.

> 2.  Should there be anything else in my sendmail.mc file pointing to an SA
> milter?  I ask because I had to put in a milter for clamav and was
> wondering..

You mention "milter", so you obviously use Sendmail as your local MTA. I
recommend you change your setup to a more flexible and less fragile
interaction between Sendmail, SpamAssassin, Procmail and Fetchmail:

Use MimeDefang to integrate SpamAssassin. MimeDefang is a milter
application and thus integrates to Sendmail just like you integrated
Clamav. A very good howto is to be found on:

http://www.rudolphtire.com/mimedefang-howto/

Keep in mind, that some steps in the setup are not necessary, like
compilation of Sendmail from source, as Sendmail on Fedora already has
all what's needed to run a milter application.

Using Mimedefang you save to use Procmail to call up the SpamAssassin,
although you still can use Procmail for filtering by looking at the mail
header tags. But you also could use any other tool like Sieve in
combination with Cyrus-Imapd.

Your Fetchmail setup is not interfered with a possible change to
MimeDefang milter usage.

> Any and all help is appreciated and thanked for in advance.
>
> Phil

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 14:05:26 up 16:48, 7 users, 1.33, 1.19, 1.07
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]