samba

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Feb 9 13:26:16 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 09.02.2004 schrieb Chadley Wilson um 09:01:
> Hi all,
> Good to be back after a disaster with my PC, Turns out the memory chip
> packed up and it caused my FC1 to fall over, After much reloading and
> effort and time I am finally sorted.
> Now sitting with a fresh install I was in a hurry and set my hostname
> and set it to chadley.linux instead of chadlin.linux and the problem now
> is with samba. Now Im not sure if the hostname is the problem but here
> is what I am experiencing.
>
> My windows PC is called chadley and is in the pinnacle workgroup/domain.
> I have change my host name to chadlin.linux and had to edit the
> /etc/hosts file to reflect the change.
>
> using redhat-config-samba - server settings I have changed the default
> workgroup for the samba server from  "mygroup"to "pinnacle".
>
> I have also enabled in redhat-config-authentication - on the
> authentication tab smb support and from the [configure smb] button I
> have change the workgroup to PINNACLE as well. I also included the
> domain controller for pinnacle as PDC-MID.
>
> When I browse the network from the menu - Network Servers or smb:/// in
> nautilus I can still see the workgroup "mygroup" it has 2 pcs in it
> PDC-MID [which belongs in the pinnacle group] and of course chadley
> which was the linux pc. if you open it you can see all my linux smb
> shares.
> It should not be there, even after a reboot its still there.
>
> Then I check the Pinnacle domain and there is chadley and chadlin.
> chadley [my windows pc] is still showing my linux pcs shares and chadlin
> is inaccessible.
>
> When I go to another windows box everything is working fine.
>
> How do I fix this or is it a bug?
>
> Thanks in advance for your support
> I hope that one day I can return the favour.
>
> Regards Chadley

Information about PCs using smb/nmb is stored for quite a while and can
differ from what it's real if you changed setup. Be just patient,
information will synchronize after a while.

If you are unsure about your setup check /etc/samba/smb.conf - it's a
plain text file - and consult the very verbose samba documentation on
www.samba.org.

There is too the command line tool "smbclient" with which you can check
your smb environment.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 14:22:44 up 17:05, 7 users, 1.09, 1.13, 1.09
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]