SMP and shutdown.

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Mon Feb 9 20:54:46 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 09.02.2004 schrieb WipeOut um 18:39:
> Is it normal for a system using the SMP kernel not to power off when
> issued "shutdown -h now" or the "poweroff" command?? if so why??

It is, because APM is considered unstable for SMP machines. You can
force a power off by passing an option to the kernel in grub. I used it
with RH 8 or 9 and in worked without a problem for a long time.
Unfortunately I forgot the details  :-)

You may search the RH 8 and RH 9 list. You will find a message about the
topic.

Peter