Fedora won't boot successfully after installation

Stefan Frank sfrank at csit.fsu.edu
Mon Feb 9 22:15:30 UTC 2004

Hello,

After installing Fedora Core 1, my computer won't boot Linux
successfully, ending with the message

	mkrootdev: label / not found
         Mounting root filesystem
         mount: error 2 mounting ext3

and a Kernel panic because it can't find an init.

When booting from the installation CD, already, i get the message

	unable to read partition table

When the installation routine looks for existing Linux partitions (which
exist), it finds them but can't mount them, giving the error message

	invalid arguments

Ignoring that, however, the installation seems to run smoothly.

 From a Linux rescue system, i can read and edit the partition table
(fdisk, parted). I actually have to delete and re-create the Linux
partitions, otherwise i can't even start the installation routine,
getting the error message

	install exited abnormally

I tried to use ext2 instead of ext3 file system, with the same results.

There has been Windows XP installed on the computer before (which
worked). The processor is an AMD Athlon, and i use the grub boot loader.

I really don't know what to do, and i would appreciate any help. Thank
you very much.

Stefan