Fedora won't boot successfully after installation

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 9 22:52:01 UTC 2004

Stefan Frank wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After installing Fedora Core 1, my computer won't boot Linux
> successfully, ending with the message
>
>     mkrootdev: label / not found
>         Mounting root filesystem
>         mount: error 2 mounting ext3
>
> and a Kernel panic because it can't find an init.
>
> When booting from the installation CD, already, i get the message
>
>     unable to read partition table

This is your first clue you are in trouble.

Repartition the drive ---  force it to do that.

I have had cases where the windows partition wa sunreadable because of
differences in how the os read the drive -- logincal mapping of the CHS
was different and it would not work.   I blew away the partition table
completely,  rebooted, then created a new partition table and everything
was happy.