Need HUGE help! Problem at boot-up with proper kernel/OS...

Jay Turner jkt at redhat.com
Tue Feb 10 02:22:36 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 04:49:30PM -0600, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> OK. I just upgraded my 4th and most important machine from RedHat 9 to
> Fedora 1. Problem: the last machine was the most important, and it has
> messed up. Here's what happened.
>
> Everything seemingly installed fine. But, when I reboot, I see
> a linux kernel menu to choose kernels from, instead of Fedora's
> like on all the other machines. When I choose a kernel, it's the old
> Redhat ones. It's like it doesn't "see" the new kernels, or that it's on
> Fedora now.
>
> The upgrade and the machines were similar: do an upgrade from the isos on
> the hard disk. On 3 machines, it went fine. On the last machine, it went
> fine until reboot, and then this happened.
>
> Otherwise, everything lse seems to have upgraded normally. I can't use the
> network card because the upgrade killed the modules, apparently, for my
> cards. Anyone have a clue on a quick fix?

Sounds like one of two possible things.  Did you switch from lilo to grub
as the bootloader?  There's a chance that the old boot loader is still
running things.  The other option is that the bootloader configuration
didn't get updated during the upgrade.

Either way, you can check things out by booting into rescue mode.  To do
this, boot off the original install media and enter "linux rescue" at the
boot prompt.  This will allow you to get access to the system via a chroot
environment.  You can poke around at the existing bootloader config and
update it if you need to.

- jkt

--
Jay Turner, QA Technical Lead      jkt at redhat.com             Red Hat, Inc.

        Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
                                                   - Albert Einstein