Apache Permissions

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Tue Feb 10 06:37:31 UTC 2004

> I'm having trouble getting the permissions of my
> DocumentRoot just right on my Apache configuration.
> This is the first Apache Web Server that I've tried
> setting up.  It is more or less a test environment for
> PHP.  I only want to give write access to a one or two
> users, and I still want Apache to be able to display
> the pages.
>
> Any experienced suggestions?
>
> Thanx in advance,
>
> SAJChurchey

have a look in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and search the document-root (if
you havn't changed the standard), its mentionnend as /var/www/html. It is
a section beginning like <DocumentRoot> or so....if you have a line in
there like 'Deny All' take it out.

Have with 'ps -ef | grep httpd' a look, which user runs the apache
webserver. Change the permissions from /var/www/ with 'chmod -R
/var/www/html u+rx apache' to the user written by the ps-command. This
makes your Document Root read- and executable.

HTH
Roger