Promise SATA controller almost working...

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Feb 10 13:52:35 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 10.02.2004 schrieb Jean-Rene Cormier um 13:26:
> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 04:55, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Di, den 10.02.2004 schrieb Jean-Rene Cormier um 02:36:
> > > I'm currently working on a boot.iso for FC1 with Promise SATA support
> > > with the ft3xx driver. So far it finds the controller but when it tries
> > > to load the driver it fails and I get some unresolved symbol error such
> > > as: scsi_unregister, fasync_helper, kill_fasync, register_chrdev and
> > > scsi_register then I get the message "Hint: You are trying to load a
> > > modules without a GPL compatible license and it has unresolved
> > > symbols....."
> >
> > How did you compile the driver: with module versions or without? Try it
> > the different way (I am sure you know where and how to modify the
> > Makefile of the driver package).
>
> I compiled it without module versions, I'll give it a try with it
> tonight.
>
> > > In the modules.dep files I added ft3xx: sd_mod scsi_mod but it still
> > > doesn't work... anybody could help me with this?

"Doesn't work" is not adequate describtion, but just a state. I
interpret it here as "does not load properly but gives unresolved
symbols error message".

> > "depmod -ae -F /boot/System.map" after you added a kernel module and
> > want to rebuild the modules.dep file.
>
> Doing so still gives me some unresolved symbols but only 2,
> scsi_unregister_Rd039d977 and scsi_register_Rc1833384 and the
> modules.dep only lists scsi_mod for the ft3xx driver, I thought it
> needed the sd_mod too.

Might come from building without module versions. The .config file for
my stock Fedora kernel .2149 has "CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y" set.

> > > Also I've read on this list that the newer kernel released for FC1 had
> > > support for this card, is that true? If so is there a boot.iso somewhere
> > > with a newer kernel? Or at least anybody could tell me how I can create
> > > a new boot.iso with a newer kernel?
> >
> > Do you really want to use the RAID driver? I tested my onboard Promise
> > PATA controller 20265 with both the kernel driver pdcraid.o as well with
> > the Promise driver FastTrak.o. With both drivers the performance was
> > really poor, although it was better with the Promise driver.
>
> Well so far I want to use whatever works because I have a computer I
> really want to use that's pretty much useless until I can install FC1 on
> it. If I can get it to install, I could always change the driver
> afterwards and see which one works better.

How to build a driver disk, which you need at install time, is described
here:

You need a proper working module first.

> > I decided to use the controller just for plugging the harddrives to it
> > and then use software raid function of Linux. Those controller chips are
> > no real hardware raid controller, they just have BIOS supported software
> > raid implementations.
>
> I only have 1 drive connected to it so I won't be using RAID at all.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jean-Rene Cormier

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 14:47:28 up 1 day, 17:30, load average: 0.03, 0.08, 0.08
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]