Apache virtual servers permissions and users?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Feb 10 14:03:08 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 10.02.2004 schrieb WipeOut um 14:48:
> Simon Bell wrote:
>
> >The way I work this is to chown /var/www/www.domain.com to the user/group of
> >the person who's website the domain related to. Then in the users
> >/home/username/ directory i create a symbolic link to there
> >/var/www/www.domain.com directory. Users only have access to there own
> >website directories and ive never had any problems with permissions.
> >

> That sounds workable, I will give it a try..
>
> Thanks..

Why not just creating the vhosts DocumentRoot inside the users home
directories like "/home/$user/www/html". The DocumentRoot for the vhosts
does not have to be where the DocumentRoot of the main server is.

If you use scponly from

http://www.sublimation.org/scponly/

you can setup your user permission so that they can not cruise through
your whole system using the SSH access. They are chrooted inside their
$HOME and can whatever they need to do for setting up their web site.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 14:59:20 up 1 day, 17:41, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.03
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]