Problems booting on Laptop

Jarrod Hermer jarrod at mybeat.net
Tue Feb 10 16:03:54 UTC 2004

>Am Di, den 10.02.2004 schrieb Jarrod Hermer um 15:43:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having a strange problem with Core 1 on my no name laptop.
>>
>> Installation completed without a hitch, all devices where detected
>> correctly. But when the machine rebooted Fedora refused to boot up
and
>> seemed to crash alternately when the firewire or PCMCIA was being
>> probed/configured.
>>
>> I removed the "rhgb" from the entry in GRUB. This seemed to solve the
>> problem as Fedora then booted. But now it refuses to boot and seems
>> be getting stuck when the PCMCIA devices are getting
configured/probed.

>> Sorry for my vague description but I am a typical MS newbie.
>>
>> Here are some details about the devices in the laptop gleaned from
>> Microsoft.
>> * PCMCIA controller: O2Micro OZ6933 CardBus
>> * On board video - S3 Twister - shared memory
>> * FireWire: Texas Instruments OHCO Compliant IEEE 1394 Host
Controller

>> Any guidance would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jarrod
>
>Does it help if you do not start the kudzu service? Testing that you
can
>boot by pressing "I" (lower or upper letter i) when this option appears
>on your boot console. If that helps set "chkconfig --level 2345 kudzu
>off"
>
>Alexander
>

>--
>Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG key 1024D/ED695653 1999-07-13
>Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel
2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
>Sirendipity 16:28:38 up 1 day, 19:11, load average: 0.24, 0.24, 0.21
>                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]

Nope, boot process does not even get that far.

Clint: did the fresh install, then applying all the latest updates solve
the problem?

The last line displayed on the console when the boot crashes is:

Starting pcmcia: Yenta IRQ list 0218, PCI irq10
Socket status: 30000006

Any ideas?