Speedtouch 330 broadband modem with BT Yahoo in UK

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Tue Feb 10 16:53:32 UTC 2004

Hello Tomasz,

> I do indeed have a silver version of the 330 modem.
>
> I tried installing the drivers, but it appears to me at least, that
> something hasn't worked.

Did you apply the patch
http://www.nemohackers.org/speedtouch/modem_run.diff ? Note that after
applying that patch modem_run is unusable with the original SpeedTouch
(blue) USB and (burgundy) 330 modems.

> The modem_run command just pauses for a while and after I do "pppd call
> adsl", and check it with "ifconfig ppp0" or "ifconfig -a", there is
> information there for ppp0 that was not present prior.
>
> Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F8 shows some error message relating to
> "speedtch" and I've seen that mentioned here:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/speedtouch@ml.free.fr/msg05557.html
>
> I'm unsure if I should disable this also.

Yes you do. That is what the messages says. The kernel mode driver seems
not to work yet with the 330 Rev.4. You will need to use the user mode
driver for now. To achieve that you have to move the kernel mode driver
out of the way.

> I also don't know if any of the
> things I tried with the Speedbundle earlier are now interfering with
> attempting these new drivers.

For as far as the pppd part is concerned, no. But you need to disable
hotplugging so the kernel driver does not get loaded.

> Is there anyone here who has specifically managed to get this working on BT
> Yahoo broadband with the Revision 4 Silver modem?

You are probably one of the pioneers ;-) . That modem_run patch is brand
new. If you want answers get your butt over to speedtouch at ml.free.fr
(subscribe info at
http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/index.php?/contacts.en.html ).

> I will probably go ahead and do a re-install of FC1

No need to reinstall. Just make sure the kernel mode driver is out of
the way.

Bye,
Leonard.