Cable modem, router, and nic

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 10 17:15:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 20:36, Peter Reed wrote:
> I was about to purchase a cable modem, router and nic card Any sugestions on
> what I should purchase for the above would be appreciated. I of course run
> fedora so something that will be compatible with fedora would be optimal.  And
> thank you for all the fine reading.
> Peter Reed

Peter,

Here in Bellsouth land they provided the modem for free after rebates.
The modem has router and firewall capabilities, but only one ethernet
port.  I needed a few more.  I purchased a D-Link 614 wireless/wired
router.  It works fine, but...

I could not update the firmware from linux.  This was required as the
router crashed and would not reboot following a certain wireless setup.
The firmware upgrade seems to have fixed it, but it was web-based and
required IE.  D-Link offers no Linux support, they do windows and not
much else (read that any way you like).

The other web-based configuration tools work fine with Galeon/Mozilla.

Recommendation:  Look at Linksys, at least their routers are Linux
based.  Yes, I've read about the GPL issues with Linksys.

Bob...