media server

George Farris farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Tue Feb 10 18:54:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 10:27, Robin Laing wrote:

> I answered the question of media server.  I have never looked at
> making asf files but I would never produce something for MS Media
> Player (wmv file type)  as it does not use open protocols.  My feeling
> is stick to Open Standards and any person can then view the files
> using the tool of their choice.
>
> As this is a Fedora list, look at trying to view wmv files with a
> stock installation on Fedora.  It can be done but there are issues
> with IP and copyrights.
>
> If you have ever had the frustration of going to a WWW site that uses
> MS Java and won't work with Linux you will see what I mean.

I must concur.  It is very important for us using Linux to advocate open
protocols.  We don't want to get stuck with Quicktime or Microsoft media
because at some point we won't be able to play those files.  Right now
we are able to use windows dll libraries to play the current versions
with obvious copyright and patent issues.  In the future those dll's may
very well be integrated (statically linked) into the application and we
won't be able to play newer versions like we do now.

The more we "support" these proprietary protocols the worse off we will
be in the long run.  Always try to thing "freedom"!!!

Try mpeg1,2 or vidx (divx) for example, there are native versions of
these for Linux, Mac, Windows and embedded devices.

George Farris	farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Malaspina University-College - Cowichan Campus