Cable modem, router, and nic

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Feb 11 00:57:51 UTC 2004

Peter Reed wrote:

> Michael Gargiullo wrote:

>> Peter,
>>     Depending where you are, if you truly want to BUY your own modem,
>> make sure it's upgradable to Docsis 2.0  ie... terayon 715 , motorola
>> 5200, and a few others...
>> Any cable modem router will work just fine on 99% of the systems out
>> there.  After you setup your modem and router, check the lease time
>> on the router.  If you notice that you loose connectivity at t he
>> half way point (ie 30 day lease, after 15 days your router looses
>> connectivity) turn WAN ping on (It's a long involved DHCP issue..good
>> reading though)
>>
>>     You could always run IPTables and 2 nics on your fedora box
>> (using it as the firewall).  This is what I run on the comcast network.
>> -Mike
>>

> Thanks Mike,
> How about some good nics to use with linux?  Any Ideas?
> Peter

I have had good luck with intel,  any of the 8139 chip nics,  3com
(most), and even a lot of the ne2000 compatible nics.
In general, if linux will see it and configure it at boot time it
probably will work with little or no problems.

I use the solution with 2 nics regularly, and then configure iptables
for the firewall.