yum vs. apt

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Wed Feb 11 14:11:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 13:14, Sturla Holm Hansen wrote:
> Hi all, just wanted to ask what the difference between yum and apt are?
> Do they do the same thing, are there advantages/disadvantages?

Some info from Warren Togami:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-February/msg00517.html

Here's a short summary of the thread that I hope is accurate...

YUM Advantages:
  Better mirror and failover support.
  Supports multilib on dual 32-bit/64-bit systems (x86_64, PPC?, etc)
  (My opinion: YUM repositories are much easier to create on demand.)
YUM Disadvantages:
  Wastes considerable bandwidth downloading header (.hdr) files.
  Large updates take forever. (4 hours to update my laptop to rawhide)
  Isn't compatible with APT.

APT Advantages:
  Quickly calculates dependencies (seconds vs. hours for yum).
  Can install and resolve dependencies on non-repository packages.
  Can remove entire trees of interdependent packages.
  Automated package rebuilding from SRPMS.
APT Disadvantages:
  Doesn't have multilib support.
  Refuses to function if you install/erase any package with --nodeps.
  Isn't compatible with YUM.

For what its worth, I've been using Ximian Red Carpet with OpenCarpet
servers on my desktop system.  The OpenCarpet.org server makes most of
the popular APT repositories available as subscription channels.  I use
YUM for my other systems and for updates.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/