User Linux

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Wed Feb 11 15:24:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 22:34, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> > Windows won't play a DVD out of the box. A choice of removing the MP3
> > playing option is good - you just need to get the fix. It shows we as a
> > Linux community are serious about not distributing software that helps
> > piracy (in other industries).
>
> You are so wrong in here.
>
> The only thing it shows here is how we, as a community, are hurt by
> allowing software patents to exist.

In that case, we'll have to include the Windows community. I don't
recall why billg removed DVD playing support though (neither do I care).

> If I lived in the USA, I would have no legitimate way to take my CD's
> into MP3s (which is what a MP3 player -- much easier to find and buy
> than one that also plays Ogg/Vorbis -- plays).

If you own them, you can.

> There is no such act of that so called "piracy" (although I don't
> understand what hijacking ships, murdering and stealing have to do with
> copying).

"piracy" can be defined many times in the English language. Its just
like the English word for "free".
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
http://fedoranews.org/colin/fnu/ - Fedora News Updates