User Linux

Mike Lurk mike.lurk at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 11 16:48:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 07:51 -0500, James Drabb wrote:
> First, let me state that I do despise MS, and I am playing devils
> advocate.  However, let us look at the cost over 5 years for RHPW and
MS
> Windows XP Home.  We need to assume that RH will support RHPW for 5
> years and not drop support like RH 9.
>=20
> RHPW year 1: $50
> RHPW year 2: $60 for updates
> RHPW year 3: $60 for updates
> RHPW year 4: $60 for updates
> RHPW year 5: $60 for updates
> ----------------------------
>            $290 over 5 years
>=20
> MS XP Home year 1: $99
> MS XP Home year 2: $0
> MS XP Home year 3: $0
> MS XP Home year 4: $0
> MS XP Home year 5: $0
> ---------------------
>      $99 over 5 years
>=20
> Do you see the price difference?

Your math is wrong.

Do the prices for
MS XP Home + Equivalent Developer Tools + Adobe Photoshop + Decent Maths
program + Complete Office suite + ....

Just so you make a fair comparison.

Rui

One other thing, how many virus updates with have to be done in the next
5 years. How many times will you have to reboot the machine because of
exception errors or lock ups. The only time that I have a lockup Linux
is when there is an actual hardware problem or software incompatibility.
And the there is a BIG plus for Linux, FREE SOFTWARE. No comparison in
my mind.