Compiling ALL the SRPMs

Preston grammaton_cleric at gmx.net
Wed Feb 11 16:55:58 UTC 2004

El Miércoles, 11 de Febrero de 2004 11:41 AM, Rui Miguel Seabra escribió:
> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 11:41 -0500, Met @ Uber wrote:
> > I had a stupid revelation the other day.  Its common fact that if I
> > compile all the programs for my systems architecture it will run
> > faster.  Many RPMs are compiled for NOARCH, and at the very least not
> > i686.  But I love the ease of RPMs because they're easy to track whats
> > on the system.  So my question is this.
>
> If you install glibc i686 then most of your programs will be running a
> lot of i686 optimized code, even if compiled on normal i386
> optimizations, because they usually use most of their functionality
> derived from glibc'shared libraries.
>
> The same applies to everything else, so the speed bump should not be
> very significant (although perhaps noticeable, I don't know).
I have been thinking about doing the same (at least, recompile kde, qt,
postgres). Gentoo users insists that recompiling gives a big perfomance
boost. A friend made a test comparing Fedora against Whitebox and get amazing
results running sql queries agains Postgres.
But somebody told that sometimes, recompile would just give a slower package.

--
ru guo ni yao ai, ni jiang bu hui shi qu