User Linux

Brent Fox bfox at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 16:53:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 09:42, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 07:51 -0500, James Drabb wrote:
> > First, let me state that I do despise MS, and I am playing devils
> > advocate.  However, let us look at the cost over 5 years for RHPW and MS
> > Windows XP Home.  We need to assume that RH will support RHPW for 5
> > years and not drop support like RH 9.
> >
> > RHPW year 1: $50
> > RHPW year 2: $60 for updates
> > RHPW year 3: $60 for updates
> > RHPW year 4: $60 for updates
> > RHPW year 5: $60 for updates
> > ----------------------------
> >            $290 over 5 years
> >
> > MS XP Home year 1: $99
> > MS XP Home year 2: $0
> > MS XP Home year 3: $0
> > MS XP Home year 4: $0
> > MS XP Home year 5: $0
> > ---------------------
> >      $99 over 5 years
> >
> > Do you see the price difference?
>
> Your math is wrong.
>
> Do the prices for
> MS XP Home + Equivalent Developer Tools + Adobe Photoshop + Decent Maths
> program + Complete Office suite + ....
>
> Just so you make a fair comparison.

Also, just to make it fair, the $99 price for Windows XP Home is for the
upgrade version.  The retail price for the full version of Windows XP
Home is $199:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=316255

Then add Office 2003 to that at $369 for the full version:
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=539386

$199 + $369 = $568

--Brent