Upgraded kernel - much confusion!

Will Clifton wgcabp at cox.net
Wed Feb 11 17:54:38 UTC 2004

Bob,

Thank you VERY much for taking the time for such an informative reply
for a newbie!

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 05:56, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> (I upgraded in hopes
> > that the new kernel would have better support for my WinTV-PVR-250,
> > otherwise I would not have attempted this as it is way above my head...)
>
> Don't know about this, my TV card is in a 2.4.x box.  If it's BT848
> based it should work.  Check out freevo or mythtv.

I ended up installing a custom kernel (back to 2.4.x) that has support
for my TV card. The new WinTV-PVRs no longer use a bttv chip, it's
connextant instead and there's not much linux support yet. I am in the
middle of configuring mythtv, so far nothing but snow on the screen but
I'm working on it.

> > 2. Kudzu keeps wanting to reconfigure my eth0 (Natsemi->Netgear FA311)
> > everytime I reboot.

> I've seen this too.  If you reboot enough times (nics+1, maybe), I think
> kudzu will correct it.

When I was playing with 2.6 kudzu eventually did get the idea after
enough reboots, it stopped trying to configure my eth0 every time, just
FYI.

> Remove the hdx=ide-scsi kernel command line parameters from grub.conf or
> lilo.conf.  You should then be able to refer to your CDROM by its true
> device name (e.g. /dev/hdc or /dev/cdrom)

Thank you, that helped a lot. The line was actually in modprobe.conf,
now it's working.

> > 4. I read that I'm supposed to install the ALSA drivers for 2.6...
>
> You should also install the ALSA libraries and utilities.
>
> Run alsaconf to update modules.conf (or modprobe.conf), it should be
> installed as part of the ALSA utilities.

Yes, did all of that.

> I had to install the alsasound startup script to load the modules at
> boot time.  It was part of the ALSA drivers download.  Copy it to
> /etc/init.d  and run chkconfig --add alsasound, then chkconfig --level
> 2345 alsasound on, then service alsasound start.  You must run alsamixer
> to un-mute the sound card.  BTW:  I built the ALSA S/W from tarballs.

Thank you very much! Followed your steps exactly and now I actually have
sound at startup.

Once again, it was nice of you to take the time to help a newbie out.

Will