Figuring out redhat-config-httpd

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Feb 12 03:05:10 UTC 2004

At 11:26 2/10/2004, you wrote:
> >          2. Set up a line saying
> > "127.0.0.1   simpaticus.localdomain   simpaticus" in /etc/hosts.
>
>This is a big no go! Be sure you have a line in /etc/hosts looking as:
>
>127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost

I do have that line. I *added* the other line showing the
simpaticus.localdomain name.

>Does the main server work? If it does the vhost configuration and where
>you defined it would helpful for detecting the error. Is /home/rpaiz set
>to chmod 711?

My mistake there... /home/rpaiz was not executable, and when checking
permissions I forgot that one. Rather than opening up the directory even a
little, moved the vhost to the /var/www/ subdirectory. So now I have:

  * Default vhost: "localhost" at /var/www/html/
  * Other vhost: "simpaticus" at /var/www/www.simpaticus.com/

Still no joy. Really contemplating starting from scratch, getting it to
work with a hand-written httpd.conf and then retrying. Also, not sure that
name recognition is working properly... perhaps when I type "simpaticus"
into the URL field in Mozilla it's not telling Apache the right thing?

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com