restarting xinetd

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 12 11:36:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> Am Mi, den 11.02.2004 schrieb don um 22:11:
> > I added a new "service definition" to /etc/xinetd.d directory and now I
> > want to restart xinetd so the new definition is picked up.
> >
> > How can I tell if xinetd actually restarted?
>
> # /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
> or
> # /sbin/service xinetd restart

note that, for many services, there is both a "reload" and "restart".
"restart" will, literally, kill the service and restart it.  "reload",
OTOH, will normally just signal the service to re-read its config file
to pick up any changes that have been made.

clearly, "reload" is a faster process and, if it's available, you
should try that first, just to save time.

rday