Geforce Drivers - Confused

HD heterodox at satx.rr.com
Thu Feb 12 12:45:46 UTC 2004

Jim Radford wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've managed to get the afternoon off, so I'm taking the time to
> upgrade my kernel (using up2date) to  2.4.22-1.2166
>
> However, I know that last time I upgraded, I had to reinstall my
> Geforce drivers - so I'm looking to upgrade them to the latest
> version as well.
>
> I currently have the following installed:
>
> [root at mailgate new]# rpm -qa | grep nvidia
> nvidia-glx-1.0.4496-0.fdr.10.1
> kernel-module-nvidia-driver-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl-1.0.4496-0.fdr.10.1
> kernel-module-nvidia-driver-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl-1.0.4496-0.fdr.10.1
>
> Firstly, I can't recall where I got those rpms from :(
>
> Secondly, I grabbed a URL from another thread on this list and went
> to look at the rpms there:
> http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/fc1/nvidia-graphics/
>
> There are so many to choose from, that I'm confused as to which to
> get.
>
> I have an Althlon XP 1800 and a Geforce 4 Ti (I forget which model)
>

> Can somebody please tell me what to install and ease my aching
> brain.
>
> Thanks.

I have had similar questions in the past. And have tried a variety of
solutions all of which worked okay, but some took more doing then
others :) But now http://rpm.livna.org
gets them out pretty quickly. So last evening I installed the new
kernel and got the nvidia kernel module from them using apt-get. It's
all working very nicely so far. You can also get the updates for
nvidia-glx this way if you need it.

--
HD

Tipping my hat to Fedora.