Figuring out redhat-config-httpd

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Feb 12 13:55:26 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 12.02.2004 schrieb Rodolfo J. Paiz um 04:05:
> At 11:26 2/10/2004, you wrote:
> > >          2. Set up a line saying
> > > "127.0.0.1   simpaticus.localdomain   simpaticus" in /etc/hosts.
> >
> >This is a big no go! Be sure you have a line in /etc/hosts looking as:
> >
> >127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost
>
> I do have that line. I *added* the other line showing the
> simpaticus.localdomain name.

Ok.

> >Does the main server work? If it does the vhost configuration and where
> >you defined it would helpful for detecting the error. Is /home/rpaiz set
> >to chmod 711?
>
> My mistake there... /home/rpaiz was not executable, and when checking
> permissions I forgot that one. Rather than opening up the directory even a
> little, moved the vhost to the /var/www/ subdirectory. So now I have:
>
>   * Default vhost: "localhost" at /var/www/html/
>   * Other vhost: "simpaticus" at /var/www/www.simpaticus.com/

Why is the main server configured as vhost as well? Or is it just a
faulty description by you? See my other reply with direction to
"apachectl -S".

> Still no joy. Really contemplating starting from scratch, getting it to
> work with a hand-written httpd.conf and then retrying. Also, not sure that
> name recognition is working properly... perhaps when I type "simpaticus"
> into the URL field in Mozilla it's not telling Apache the right thing?

A "ping localhost" as well as "ping simpaticus" must work as it will
both try to resolve the name.

Does Apache response to http://localhost? Better than using a browser
might be to detect Apache working using telnet:

telnet localhost 80
GET / HTTP/1.0
<enter 2 times>

same command with: telnet simpaticus 80

And: check the relevant logfiles! Configuring Apache and not having a
view to /var/log/httpd/ and /home/rpaiz/www.simpaticus.com/logs/ is bad.

> Rodolfo J. Paiz

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 14:47:31 up 3 days, 17:30, load average: 1.16, 0.37, 0.19
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]