User Linux

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Feb 12 13:57:18 UTC 2004

Bennett, Patrick wrote:

> [...]
But you are still missing the point.
He was complaining about the effort to upgrade everything.  Do you
--really-- think he (or most Windows users)  would take the idea that
software is available for free and really use it.
In my experience most feel that FREE IS BAD as far as quality is
concerned.  They would rather pay $300 - $500 for an application that is
FREE for the open source community (MS Office vs OpenOffice, Photoshop
vs Gimp, etc), than try and obtain/install/use something that is free as
far as cost but is perceived as low quality or just plain dangerous.

This is a case where perception makes the decision rather than a free
spirit and willingness to try something new.