galeon?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 12 15:12:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, David Holden wrote:

> Jay Daniels wrote:
> > after apt-get removed my Galeon, i quickly located an rpm for Galeon and
> > reinstalled it.
> >
> > i prefer galeon over firebird/firefox or mozilla.
> >
> > why isn't Galeon included in fedora?
> >
> > i understand that some users want to be able to use the same web browser
> > on both windows and linux and galeon doesn't have a windows version.
> > however, i also think Galeon is superior to the other browsers.
> >

> > jay
>
> Fedora Core 1 _does_ come with Epiphany, which I believe is a project
> that split from Galeon (the original guy in charge of Galeon left to
> start Epiphany).  From what I hear, he did this because he thought that
> Galeon was becoming too "power-user" and he wanted a simpler browser,
> thus, Epiphany.  Why the Fedora team chose Epiphany over Galeon, I'm not
> certain.

Also the stable galeon 1.2... was for gnome-1.sometihing - and the
development version was for gnome-2. (and unstable). So I guess both
were not suited for the release.

At that time - I did manage to build my own galeon1.3... - but it
wouldn't render lots of pages correctly. So I had to move from galeon
to epiphany.

However now there is a new version of galeon 1.3.12 - which is
reasonably stable and works (very similar to epiphany). And all of
them (mozilla-1.6,epiphany-1.0.7, galeon 1.3.12) are installable from:

http://apt.sw.be/redhat/fc1/en/i386/dag

I still miss some of the galeon-1.2 features. And I really hate the
fact that the keybindings are now set with gnome-settings - for both
galeon and epiphany (and I don't use gnome - so these settings are not
loaded at startup)

Next try: firefox. But I got used to smart-bookmarks-toolbar - and I
don't know how to configure this for mozilla/firefox.

Satish