setting an tty locale to utf-8

adrianorg adrianorg at novohamburgo.rs.gov.br
Thu Feb 12 16:33:05 UTC 2004

> > But, I have modified syslogd.conf to write log messages to tty12,
and
> > those messages don't shows correctly some "decorated" characteres,
like
> > the combinations of vowels and tilde, acute, umlauth, cedilla, etc.
>
> Try:
> echo -n -e '\033%G' > /dev/tty12
>
> That escape code sets virtual console to utf-8 mode.

Yes, it works perfectly. Many thanks!

1-Do you know some resources where I can learn more about it (escape
sequences for UTF-8 and related stuff)?
2-Now I need to put this "echo" on some persistent way, to be executed
every time I restart my computer. I have tried /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but
rc.local runs as a last step on initialization, and I need it to run
before any syslog messages be sent.

Thanks.
adrianorg