Permission problem after updating pango, gnome-libs

Luke McCarthy lukem+fedora at virtuouspagans.org
Thu Feb 12 16:27:57 UTC 2004

Hi everybody,

I'm running Fedora Core 1 and I use up2date to make sure all of my
packages remain current, with the exception that I don't update the
kernel unless it's absolutely necessary.  The other day (9 February)
after I updated pango and pango-devel, none of the text in the gnome
menus, dialog boxes, etc. was displaying.  The terminal and webpage text
were fine.  In other words, just what you'd expect if there was some
problem in the internationalization library.  It turns out that the new
RPM had installed /etc/pango/i386-redhat-linux-gnu/pango.modules with
permissions of 0640, so none of my user programs nor gdm could actually
read it.  After fixing the permissions, the problem went away.

I had a similar problem after updating gnome-libs and gnome-libs-devel.
In this case, it was the entire tree below
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/gnome-settings/ that had overly
strict permissions after I updated the RPM, resulting in an error when I
opened most gnome applications for the first time in a session.

Since there hasn't been any chatter on the mailing list about these
problems, I assume that there is something about my particular setup
that's causing them.  It has happened on all three of the machines that
I have running fedora.  As stated, all packages are up to date save the
kernel (which is kernel-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)  If anyone has any idea what
the problem might be, or if there's any other information I can provide
that might help with a diagnosis, let me know.  Thanks,

Luke