FC2 bittorrent servers: send MD5SUM first

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 00:42:18 UTC 2004

John Reiser said:
> William Hooper wrote:
>> John Reiser said:
>> [snip]
>>
>>>All of this depends on the bittorrent clients+servers transfering a
>>> whole
>>>directory file-by-file, instead of as random pieces from all the files.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> But this isn't how Bittorrent works.  It does random pieces so that
>> everyone won't be after the same piece at the same time ... [snip]
>>
>> http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/protocol.html
>
> Using bittorrent-3.3-0.fdr.2.fc1 as client for FC2 test 1 from
> http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/FC2-test1-binary-i386.torrent
> I observe that FC2-test1-i386-disc1.iso is the only file which
> receives data for the first 4 hours, [snip]
  So the observed behavior
> definitely is _not_ random across all files in the directory.

Maybe behavior has changed in the new version, but I believe you will find
that you may not have a complete disc1 when it goes to disc 2.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-November/msg00618.html

> In such circumstances, it would be handy to have useful partial
> results, such as -disk1 complete and checkable via MD5SUM.

One could always get the MD5SUM from the web page...

http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/MD5SUM

--
William Hooper